Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum

Discuss your anxiety panic attacks or depression with other Christians. Find support from other Christians who are experiencing the same thing. Find answers. Pray and encourage one another through Jesus Christ.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revelation Chapter 13 (Part 56) (Verses 2 - 17)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Statesman63
Admin

PostSubject: Revelation Chapter 13 (Part 56) (Verses 2 - 17)   Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Revelation 13:2 says, “The beast I saw resembled a leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth like that of a lion. The dragon gave the beast his power and his throne and authority.” It is interesting that John here in Revelation lists the same beasts that Daniel did, but in reverse order. One suggestive reason could be that Daniel saw his visions forward in history; whereas, Daniel is there looking backwards—but that’s just fancy conjecture. We see that the dragon, or Satan, equips the beast, or the Anti-Christ with his power, throne, and authority. Satan’s main power is deception. Satan has a throne and authority because he rules over all the other demons and even the people who serve him, whether wittingly, or unwittingly. Atheists, for example, serve Satan without knowing it. Since Satan, who is a fallen angel, is going to give the Anti-Christ his power, that means that the Anti-Christ will have superhuman abilities. We shouldn’t be too surprised when we read the Anti-Christ, and especially the False Prophet do supernatural things because they are both using demonic power. I think it is good to remind the reader that God empowers His Saints with power similar to Satan empowering the Anti-Christ. The weapons God gives us are real even though we cannot see them. We have the armor of God: the Belt of Truth, Breastplate of Righteousness, Helmet of Salvation, Shoes of Peace, Shield of Faith, and Sword of the Spirit. That’s only 6 things; God’s number is 7. Oh, and the often overlooked one in that passage: prayer. Prayer is also part of our armor of God. God gave us fasting, and don’t forget, the Holy Spirit Himself. With these things, the Christian is able to cast out demons, move mountains, demolish strongholds, and much more.

Daniel 8:24 supplements Revelation 13:2 where Satan gives the Anti-Christ his throne and power. It reads in Daniel: “He will become very strong, but not by his power. He will cause astounding devastation and will succeed in whatever he does. He will destroy the mighty men and the holy people.” This verse also says that the Anti-Christ will be empowered by someone other than himself (i.e., Satan). Phrases such as “causing astounding devastation” has a different meaning today than what it did in biblical times in light of today’s nuclear warfare. It is very likely that the Anti-Christ will be trigger happy with nukes. It continues in Daniel: “He will cause deceit to prosper, and he will consider himself superior. When they feel secure, he will destroy many and take his stand against the Prince of princes. Yet he will be destroyed, but not by human power.” As stated earlier, Satan’s best weapon in his arsenal is deception, which he gives to the Anti-Christ, who will cause deceit to prosper. It seems that the Anti-Christ will share Satan’s pride as well, which got Satan kicked out of Heaven eons ago. The Anti-Christ is going to make a treaty and appear to make world peace, which he will later break. When the populous is feeling secure with the Anti-Christ in charge, he will break his treaty and reveal his true, evil colors. It was Satan, not humans, who empowers the Anti-Christ; and it will be God, not humans, who will destroy him.

Revelation 13:3 reads, “One of the heads of the beast seemed to have had a fatal wound, but the fatal wound had been healed. The whole world was astonished and followed the beast.” All of our English translations basically say the same thing. The Anti-Christ “seems” to have a fatal wound. The Anti-Christ will have an apparent resurrection. It seems that he will have a counterfeit resurrection. He is walking around with a fatal wound. 2 Thessalonians 2:9 says, “The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs, and wonders…” Zechariah 11:15-17 corroborates this “counterfeit” resurrection. The Anti-Christ is contrasted to Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd in the verses preceding verse 15. The Anti-Christ is the foolish, or worthless shepherd. It says from verse 15, “Then the LORD said to me, ‘Take again the equipment of a foolish shepherd. For I am going to raise up a shepherd over the land who will not care for the lost, or seek the young, or heal the injured, or feed the healthy, but will eat the meat of the choice sheep, tearing off their hoofs.” This is interesting because the Foolish Shepherd, or the Anti-Christ, will actually sell himself as the “savior” of the world who will make peace everywhere and make everyone happy. He will do everything opposite. He will break all of his promises of prosperity for all and will prove to be a despot. The Anti-Christ is going to take the choice meat for himself including the hoofs; and there isn’t even hardly any meat in hoofs! The next verse says, “Woe to the worthless shepherd, who deserts the flock! May the sword strike his arm and his right eye! May his arm be completely withered, his right eye totally blinded!” So we get some more details to the Anti-Christ’s wound, or apparent resurrection. At some point, the Anti-Christ will suffer some sort of accident that will take out his right eye, and decapitate his arm. I imagine him looking like a pirate, patch and all. Back to Revelation, it says that the whole world will be astonished at the presumed resurrection of the Anti-Christ and will follow him.

Revelation 13:4 posits, “Men worshipped the dragon because he had given authority to the beast, and they also worshipped the beast and asked, ‘Who is like the beast? Who can make war against him?’” By being enamored by the Anti-Christ, one will in essence be worshipping Satan. This is a concept that applies to many things today. 1 John 4:3 says, “…but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the Anti-Christ, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.” The Anti-Christ is coming (sometime in the future), but his signature or influence, and his system is already prevalent in the world today. Anything, system, person, law, etc., that does not acknowledge Jesus, is not only not from God, but is also of the spirit of the Anti-Christ; and, anything of the Anti-Christ is in essence, worship of Satan. Atheists say that they don’t like religions, but yet they don’t realize that they themselves are very religious. They are true to their god in denying the True God and Lord Jesus Christ.

Revelation 13:5 states, “The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise his authority for forty-two months.” The Anti-Christ is going to be very eloquent. He is a brilliant demagogue who continuously speaks of his accomplishments and how he is better than all of the previous leaders before him. He will have no regard for God and will speak of himself as being better than God and one who can do all things for mankind. God will allow him the freedom to speak this way for 42 months: 3 ½ years. Jesus alluded to the Anti-Christ in John 5:43. He says, “I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him.” The first time Jesus appeared on Earth in a human body, He did not point to Himself, but to the Father. Jesus could have pointed to Himself because He is just as much God as the Father is God. Jesus ascended up and left the Holy Spirit who does not speak of Himself, but of Jesus only. Last time we looked at the verses that shows how the Anti-Christ will speak boastfully. I will just list them here for review: Daniel 7:8, 11, 20; Daniel 11:35-36, and 2 Thessalonians 2:4. If there are more that I overlooked, please respond to this post and I’ll add them to my notes.

Revelation 13:6 continues, “He opened his mouth to blaspheme God, and to slander His name and His dwelling place and those who live in Heaven.” The Anti-Christ will not only blaspheme God and His name, but also His dwelling place: Israel. The Anti-Christ will not like Israel. Satan hates Israel because it is God’s chosen nation. The Anti-Christ will be possessed by Satan, and hence, hate Israel as well. Hitler was into the occult and demon worship—hence, he hated Israel as well. Demons try to get mankind to hate that nation. We Christians should try to throw off all innate prejudices we may have, especially if they are directed towards God’s chosen nation. God’s name is widely slandered today, in the spirit of the Anti-Christ. The Anti-Christ will not only slander God’s name, but he will end up persecuting those who openly worship Jesus. And finally, this verse says that the Anti-Christ will slander those who live in Heaven—this refers to the martyrs of Jesus. He will slander the Christians he murders so that he can convince the masses that he is doing everyone a favor. Similar to Hitler, the Anti-Christ will also be into the occult. Daniel 8:23 says, “In the latter part of their reign, when rebels have become completely wicked, a stern-faced king, a master of intrigue, will arise.” The phrase, “master of intrigue” literally means “of dark sentences,” which is an idiom that refers to the occult.

Verse 7 avers, “He was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them. And he was given authority over every tribe, people, language and nation.” God will actually give the Anti-Christ success over the Saints. Here it says that the Anti-Christ will conquer the Saints. In Daniel 7:21 it says, “As I watched, this horn was waging war against the saints and defeating them…” Daniel 8:24b says, “He will destroy the mighty men and the holy people.” And Daniel 7:25b says, “The saints will be handed over to him for a time, times and half a time.” I don’t think there’s a true need to do apologetics regarding this and where Jesus says in Matthew 16:18, “And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.” Some might argue that during the Day of Wrath, God allows the Gates of Hades to prevail; whereas, during the Day of Grace, the Gates of Hades cannot prevail. But Christians have always been persecuted, and it still cannot be said that the Gates of Hades had overcome it during those times. Even today, in certain parts of the world, the Church is highly persecuted, even unto death. Of the 7 churches in Revelation, the second Church, the Church in Smyrna, was noted as the Persecuted Church. Giving Satan a temporary victory over the church is not overcoming the Church because the Church will eventually remain standing while Satan falls to the fate of the eternal Lake of Fire. And as a side: the Church will be less overcome if we use the Keys of the Kingdom that Jesus gives us as mentioned in that same passage. One may have keys, but until one turns the ignition to start the vehicle, he or she is not going anywhere. We have been given the Keys of the Kingdom specifically for equipping us to be overcomers. If we fail to use them, we fail to access the power given to us.

Verse 8 foretells, “All inhabitants of the Earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the Book of Life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world.” This statement clarifies itself: only those whose names have not been written in the Book of Life will worship the beast. Everyone who is not saved will worship the Anti-Christ. If a census or poll were to go out during this time asking whether or not you worship the Anti-Christ, most will answer with a resounding “No!” As I stated earlier, atheists don’t realize that they worship Satan when they deny the existence of God. The majority will answer “no” because most don’t realize the biblical definition of worship. Worship is to place anything in the place of God. It says that all inhabitants of the Earth will worship the Anti-Christ. All of the unsaved will trust in the Anti-Christ and place him in their minds and hearts where God should be. Today, most people (the unsaved; and unfortunately some Christians) worship money and self whether knowingly or unwittingly. If one loves oneself over God then one worships self. Some worship family members because they have them higher in their hearts than they do God. The test is: are we willing to give up things for God? God tested Abraham to the highest extent with Isaac and it revealed that indeed, Abraham loved and trusted God. We are not called to do what Abraham did, but are we able to at least give our weekly tithe to God without making excuses? We should test ourselves to make sure that we are not unwittingly worshipping some thing over God.

Jesus was not slain before the foundation, or creation of the world. Revelation 13:8 from the New American Standard reads, “All who dwell on the Earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain.” That is more logical, and thus appears to be a more accurate translation. God knew before He created the world who will reject salvation and who would accept it. This knowledge should never discourage our evangelizing efforts. It cannot be argued: ‘Since God knows who will and will not be saved before the world began, we might as well not evangelize.’ God knows. We do not know. It could be that God knows beforehand that he will use you to bring a particular person into a saving relationship with Jesus. And there is this thing called “the Book of Life” where it lists everyone’s name and social security number who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior and His work as their full payment for their sin. It has nothing to do with whether or not we were a good person. It has nothing to do with how charitable we were. Good and charitable people still have that issue of sin to deal with. Only the Cross takes away our sins. In Biblical days, their social security number was their ancestry: John, the son of James, the son of Jonathan, etc.

Verse 9 says, “He who has an ear, let him hear.” There is something missing from this verse. Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 29, 3:6, 13, and 22 all say, “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” The reason Revelation 13:9 leaves out the part about “what the Spirit says to the churches” is because the Church is no longer on the Earth. This is another subtle proof of the Rapture. The Church was raptured away at the beginning of chapter 4, so hence the abbreviation. The bible is very precise in its subtle details.

Revelation 13:10a forebodes, “If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he will be killed.” This construction is a common literary device used throughout the bible. Jeremiah 23:28 says, “Let the [false] prophet who has a dream tell his dream, but let the one who has my Word speak it faithfully…” Zechariah 11:9 says, “…‘I will not be your shepherd. Let the dying die, and the perishing perish. Let those who are left eat one another’s flesh.’” And Revelation 22:11 says, “Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy.” Regarding Revelation 13:10, it is simply saying that such is the fate or destiny of those this prophesy pertains to. It has been determined and etched in prophetic certainty. I don’t see a significance, but the word for “sword” here in both instances means “dagger”. The rest of 13:10 says, “This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the Saints.” I often state that the reason Christians are not persecuted as much here in America is because the secular does not fear us that much because many of us are secret agent Christians, revealing ourselves for only a few hours on Sundays. Jesus prophesizes in John 15:20, “Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also…” If we are not persecuted, could it be that we are not being good servants of Jesus? 2 Timothy 3:12 says, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” Could it be that if we are not persecuted, that we are not seeking to live godly lives? That we are not persecuted in America is not necessarily a good thing; it should serve as a report card for how we are doing. In the day of the Anti-Christ, Christians will fear for their lives because Christianity will not be tolerated at all. God throws in verse 10 for the Christian reader during that time to say, “Be patient, my son or daughter. I know your situation, and your suffering will be for just a short season; then you will be richly rewarded for your patience and faith in me.”

Next, we meet the False Prophet. Verse 11 states, “Then I saw another beast, coming out of the Earth. He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon.” A lamb with horns? The false prophet will seek to appear to be gentle and harmless, but will end up speaking like Satan and showing his deadly horns. Jesus is The Lamb. Jesus even said in Matthew 7:15, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” The False Prophet will come, appearing to be Christ-like. This beast it says comes out of the Earth, in contrast to the Anti-Christ, who came out of the sea. Recall Jesus, in chapter 10, stood on the land and sea, claiming ownership, thus the Anti-Christ and the False Prophet are simply Jesus’ tools to accomplish His will. Verse 12 says, “He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the Earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed.” There is an interesting parallelism going on here. God the Father points to the Son and exalts Him to His throne. Jesus points to the Father and was obedient to the Father here on Earth. The Holy Spirit points to the Son and exalts Him instead of Himself. Satan gave the Anti-Christ his power and throne and exalted him. The Anti-Christ will be obedient to Satan. The False Prophet also exalts the Anti-Christ and not himself. The False Prophet will be the Anti-Christ’s Public Relations person. He will “make” everyone worship the Anti-Christ.

Verse 13: “And he [the False Prophet] performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to Earth in full view of men.” “Heaven” here means “the sky”. The False Prophet will be Elijah-like in causing fire to come down from the sky. In this day and age, that could simply indicate a nuclear strike, which would help explain the part above where it says he will “make” everyone worship the Anti-Christ. If it is a nuclear strike then that means he actually pulls the trigger because he does it “in full view of men.” This isn’t the only “sign” he does because the word “sign” is plural. The False Prophet will be using demonic and occultic powers to pull off his miracles, but keep in mind that according to 2 Thessalonians 2:4, that some will be counterfeit miracles. Revelation 13:14 continues, “Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the Earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived.” I find it amusing how the bible continues to remind us of the apparent resurrection of the Anti-Christ, as if that is now part of his name. The False Prophet will order everyone to set up an altar, shrine, or statue with the Anti-Christ’s image to pay homage to him. It says because of his power, he was able to deceive the inhabitants of the Earth. We must be careful to not admire anyone because of their power. Power should not be an admiral trait for the Christian—especially when Jesus said that the first in this world will be last and the last first. Power deceives those who seek and admire it; and puffs up those who have it.

Verse 15: “He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refuse to worship the image to be killed.” The False Prophet will somehow make the statue or image come to life (or appear to come to life). Here, he would be imitating God. Genesis 2:7 says, “…the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” Not all of the False Prophet’s miracles will be counterfeit. Revelation 16:14 says that he (and the Anti-Christ) will be performing miracles via spirits of demons. I can’t add any more commentary to 13:15 beyond the details it provides. It is peculiar. This image will not only speak, but will cause the death of all who refuse to worship this image. All I can say is: spooky.

Verse 16 says, “He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.” It is possible that the Anti-Christ has his own business called 666 Incorporated, and that company logo must appear on one’s right hand or forehead in order to buy or sell. It is amusing for biblical reasons that the mark is placed only on the “right” hand and not on the left. “Right hand” in the bible is a study in itself. The quick definition is that it means a place of authority or honor. Satan is truly the great imitator of God even down to small details. None are exempt from his mark. It affects all classes and races. The rich will be subject to the Anti-Christ and False Prophet rules. This act will cause great famine for Christians throughout the land. Christians will have to rely on their own crop to survive because anyone who takes the mark of the beast forfeits his or her salvation. Revelation 14:9-11 says that the fate of all of those who receive the mark of the beast is the Lake of Fire. The choices are: either starve and suffer for a short time, or give in to the beast and eat now, but live an eternity of torment later. Recall Zechariah 11:16, which says, “For I am going to raise up a shepherd over the land who will not care for the lost, or seek the young, or heal the injured, or feed the healthy, but will eat the meat of the choice sheep, tearing off their hoofs.” The Anti-Christ will eat not only the choice meat, but will keep all of the meat for himself, tearing off their hoofs to get everything. If the healthy are not fed, they will not be healthy for too much longer. The Anti-Christ will be a despot who hoards the world’s resources to himself and distributes meagerly.

Finally, verse 18: “This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man’s number. His number is 666.” This verse, I think, deserves its own post, so I’ll abruptly end this here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://christian-anxiety.forums-free.info

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1