Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum

Discuss your anxiety panic attacks or depression with other Christians. Find support from other Christians who are experiencing the same thing. Find answers. Pray and encourage one another through Jesus Christ.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Truth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Statesman63
Admin

PostSubject: Truth   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:04 am

Truth

Truth is imperative to setting you free.  If you fully understand and accept the concept of truth, that alone will free you from all your fears, depression, addictions, sins, or whatever else has you captive.  That is what Jesus said: “If you hold to my teachings you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:31-32).  Notice there is an order to John 8:31-32: first obey Jesus’ teachings, which will make you His disciple, then know truth, then you'll be set free. You cannot start with freedom and then find truth.  You cannot even start with truth and then start obeying.  God wants you to obey what you know before He will reveal more truth to you.  If you want to be set free today, you must first obey and while you are obeying God will show you truth, and that truth will set you free.  You cannot get to truth living in sin.  And note, it is knowing the truth that sets you free.  Intimately knowing truth sets you free.  

What are we being set free from?  Jesus left it blank.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free from __________.  If He filled in the blank then that statement would be limited.  But you are to fill in the blank with whatever has you captive.  The bible calls whatever enslaves us strongholds.  A stronghold is anything that has a hold on you that God never intended.  A stronghold is something that has you in chains and occupies and diverts your mind away from God’s Word and power in your life.  A stronghold is a sinful addiction that oppresses you and shows up all of the time.  A stronghold is something detrimental that holds your long-term focus on it.  A stronghold is something that has made its priority greater than God Himself.  Any sin can be a stronghold.  If that sin has you captive it’s your stronghold.  Anxiety and fear is a stronghold.  Depression is a stronghold.  Negativity and pessimism are strongholds.  Greed is a stronghold.  Sex outside of marriage is a stronghold.  Drugs and alcohol are strongholds.  An irascible, short-tempered disposition is a stronghold.  Cussing is a stronghold.  Food can be a stronghold.  Self-aggrandizement, narcissism, and pride are strongholds.  2 Corinthians 10:4 reads, “The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.”  As the next verse reads, paraphrased, “We have to take every illicit thought and make it obedient to the truth of Jesus.”  Truth is God’s weapon that sets us free from strongholds.  Truth unlocks and drops the shackles of strongholds and fully sets us free.  John 8:36 says, “When Jesus sets you free you will be free indeed.”  All strongholds are spiritual death, that is, separation from the fellowship and life of God.  Truth sets us free from both sin and death.  

A few quick passages about freedom to show how free we are: Galatians 5:1, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again to a yoke of slavery.”  Galatians 5:13, “You, brothers, were called to be free.”  John 8:36, “So if the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.”  Romans 6:18, “You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.”  Romans 8:2, “Because through Christ, the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.”

Truth is part of our spiritual armament in Ephesians 6.  We are told in verse 14 to “Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist.”  A belt organizes the wardrobe and keeps everything in order.  For a Roman soldier, the belt holds the scabbard or sword. It also holds strips of leather that droops down to protect the lower body.  For a Roman citizen, the belt was put on when a person wanted to run and be active because they wore tunics that would trip them up or not stay in place otherwise.  A belt stayed attached to the person wearing it.  All of these things apply to truth: it protects (Psalm 40:11), keeps our lives in order, organizes our lives, makes us ready for battle, and allows us to carry our spiritual weapon.  It should always be attached to us wherever we go.  Without truth, the rest of the spiritual armor does not function properly.  

Truth unlocks our freedom.  What is this truth?—because I want to be free!!!  Let’s define it.  Proverbs 14:12 reads, “There is a way that seems right to man, but in the end it leads to death.”  There is no such thing as “my truth” vs. “your truth.”  Truth is objective.  Truth is God’s viewpoint on the matter.  Truth sides with what God says over with what culture says.  If what God says differs from what everybody else says, everybody else is wrong.  Something is true simply because God said it.  Truth is whatever God says regardless of how absurd it sounds.  Whatever God says is the truth regardless of how you feel about it.  Whatever God says is true even if what you are experiencing seems to contradict it.  Even if something is not true it becomes true when God speaks it.  Before the universe existed, its existence was not true until God spoke it into being.  Once true, truth is unchanging because God who is Truth, changes not.  God only operates in truth.  He cannot lie.  Isaiah 45:19, God says, “I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.” Psalm 119:160 says, “All [God’s] words are true.”  Something can be real to you, but if it does not match the truth of what God said, then that which is real to you is not real to reality.  God is truth.  Jesus said “I am the truth.”  

Since God can break the rules of nature, what He says is true can sound absurd to us, but because it came from Him, we have to understand that that is the truth.  To find truth we must open the Word of God and study it.  God’s Word is the absolute source for all truth.  God said you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you—that is truth.  Truth is a constant.  Truth is true all of the time.  Therefore, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you all of the time.  Scripture is not about the power of positive thinking.  It is about the application of truth.  Understanding truth will open your eyes to the power of Scripture, even verses that seemed to not have power beforehand.  

Let’s talk about what truth is not.  Truth has nothing to do with your opinion on a matter.  Truth never asks for your input or cares what you think.  Truth can never become outdated.  It is never affected by passing time, new generations, or zeitgeist.  New generations and ideas must rediscover truth.  Truth is not based on the majority consensus.  Stop seeking truth from people or your friends.  We often go to the source of truth last.  Truth is not even facts.  They teach facts in school and those facts can be wrong.  Even a true fact can become false when God speaks.  It might be a fact that you are an alcoholic.  It might be a fact that you are poor as a pauper.  But if God says otherwise, that is, if He says, “I have supplied you with every spiritual blessing in Christ” or “You are no longer who you were, you are a new creation in Christ Jesus” then those facts are not true because God said otherwise.  It is a fact that men cannot walk on water, yet that’s what Jesus and Peter did.  It is a fact that men don’t resurrect from the dead.  But God can make dead men walk.  Jesus is able to turn facts into incorrect statements because truth is not based on facts or science; it is based only on what God says.  

Truth is not what we feel to be true based on what we are experiencing.  Truth has nothing to do with feelings.  Truth is not even based on what our eyes are telling us.  Feelings can lie.  Feelings change, truth doesn't.  We cannot rely on our feelings for truth because feelings are circumstantial, that is, they change and alternate based on what we are experiencing at the moment.  The flesh operates based on feelings.   We cannot accept what we feel, see, hear, or experience as truth if it does not conform to what God is saying.  Catch this: truth ALWAYS overrides feelings.  Remember what Jesus said, “Truth sets you free.”  When you know and accept the truth, your feelings must submit to it.  Romans 6:6 says Jesus crucified the flesh and took away its power.  Therefore, truth has power over your feelings and over the flesh.  Truth has divine power because God only operates in truth.  We may feel afraid or depressed.  The fact that you are feeling afraid or depressed is not a lie.  The lie is that you must be afraid or depressed.  The lie is that God’s promise of peace somehow excludes you.  The lie is that God’s word does not work for you. A moment in anxiety never negates the peace and freedom you really have.  Eventually the flesh must submit to truth and truth will become your norm and reality.  

To understand truth more, let’s talk about its opposite: a lie.  Lies can only feel real, they cannot be real.  Even if you believe a lie into existence for you, it is still not true because it does not exist as truth in God’s eyes.  It is only your perceived truth.  It is not THE truth.  When you stop giving attention to a lie and start asserting truth the lie dies.  Stop feeding it and it will starve.  A lie really does not exist because God did not authorize it in truth.  Therefore, it has no real power.  It only feels like it has power, it does not really have power.  Satan’s power was loss at the cross.  Since a lie does not exist in God’s reality, stop focusing on something that is really not there.  Instead, focus on the things of Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—thing about such things.” Paul says focus on what is true.  There is power in truth because there is power in God.  Truth has power because it defines what is real.  Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.”  A lie’s power lay only in its veil of the truth.  A lie’s power comes from one’s belief and acceptance in it.  Truth always trumps a lie and defeats it.  

The reason why we should reject all lies is because the origin of lies is demonic.  Satan and his demons operate in lies.  To hang out with lies is to hang out with demons because that is where they are.  The bible says Satan is the creator and father of lies.  If you accept and practice lies you have just adopted Satan as your surrogate father.  Truth came first.  Before a lie, truth already existed. The universe was created from truth because the Creator can only create what is from Himself, and there is no lie in God.  Truth was the skeleton or framework of the universe and the origination of all things.  Off of that framework came a lie that was created and originated from God’s creation of beings with freewill.  Because truth came first and came from God, truth dominates and overrides lies.  Satan’s main weapons against God’s people are his lies.  Jesus defeated Satan at the cross.  Satan can haunt a house.  He can possess non-Christians.  But his only true weapons against us are his lies.  Satan is satisfied when we Christians even accept his partial lies or half-truths.  Satan can so construct a lie to make it look like truth.  There is no such thing as a half-truth or a white lie.  Some poison in the pot spoils the entire pot.  Some lie negates the truth of the whole.  1 John 2:21 says, “No lie comes from the truth.”  To believe Satan’s lie and God’s truth on the same matter is to believe a lie.  Satan wants us to be comfortable in a lie.  He wants us to seek coping methods or mental crutches so that we can feel comfortable enough to continue living in and believing his lie.  He does not want us to clearly see the lie he gave us.  Once we do that, then we would be set free from it.  When we see the truth, then the lie loses its power.  Truth takes away the power of a lie.  So we need to take truth, for example, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, and focus only on that and not on your anxiety, fears, depression, entrapment of sin,  or inabilities!  Pray to God that he reveals and dispels all hidden or unaware lies to you.  Pray that He opens your eyes to all truth and takes away the power of lies from your life.  

Truth is a lifestyle.  1 John 1:6 says, “If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.”  The first step toward achieving truth is ridding sin.  To skip this step is to negate truth and live in a lie.  Remember the order of things as Jesus stated: First you will must hold to His teachings, and become His disciples then (and only then) will you know the truth and the truth set you free.  You cannot live in a lie of sin and expect to see truth.  Truth empowers us to stop sinning.  Sin itself is a stronghold that truth sets us free from.  

When Jesus was tempted in the desert, or the wilderness, Satan used lies to attack Him.  Jesus used truth to fight back.  Note Satan was using some truth because he was quoting Scripture, though applying it incorrectly.  Satan wants us to buy his lies by interjecting it with some truth, but again, a little lie mixed with truth is no truth.  Truth is always pure and unadulterated.  Jesus used truth, that is, God’s Word to fight Satan’s lies.  Notice, Jesus did not try to analyze Satan’s lies and overcome them through reasoning and understanding them.  We often do that with fear, anxiety and depression.  Fear, anxiety and depression are lies.  What we do wrong is try to get into the mind of those three and reason them into peace in hopes that we can somehow solve the dilemma of the peace that seems to elude us.  Jesus said, “I am not even going to analyze what you said Satan.  Instead, I am simply going to quote truth (God’s Word) back to you and apply it correctly.”  If Jesus, the Son of God, quoted scripture to fight Satan’s lies, how much more should we?  Notice that each time Jesus quoted Scripture, Satan had no answer; he just changed the topic!  Also notice Satan didn’t go away after Jesus quoted the first scripture.  It hurt Satan.  It was a punch in his gut, but Satan kept attacking with more lies.  Satan didn’t go away when Jesus quoted the second scripture.  Satan went away after 3 scriptures.  Also notice, Jesus did not give up using truth after the first Scripture didn’t make Satan go away.  He didn't give up after it seemed like truth didn't work the first time.  He kept going with truth.  He did not stop with truth and start reasoning from the realm of a lie.  Using God’s Word of truth, Satan goes away!  Resist the devil with truth and he will flee from you (James 4:7).  Truth always defeats him.  He must bow down to truth because he must bow down to God's word.

Our battle is not flesh and blood (including yourself).  We are not fighting ourselves when we are battling sin addictions, fears, and depression.  We are in a spiritual battle, fighting angelic beings who are using lies to fight us.  We must use truth to fight back.

Our reasoning must start with truth.  Never start with a lie and then work your way back to truth.  Don’t say I am depressed in search of peace.  Instead say, “The bible says in Psalm 85:8, ‘God promises peace to His people, His saints.’  And Jesus said in John 14:27, ‘Peace I leave you; my peace I give you.’” When we start with truth, what’s not true will submit.  Stop feeding lies.  We feed and strengthen a lie when we continually confess it.  “I am depressed.  I am miserable.”  Sure it may be true that you feel that way, but the truth is God’s viewpoint of who you are.  You are miserable because you believed a lie.  It may be true that you feel like having a panic attack, but the truth is you have the power to live in peace and not have it.  Feed only truth, that is, assert only God’s Word.   Do not entertain, meditate on, or fellowship with lies.  Focus on what is true and never on a lie.  Let truth be your starting point and from there rid anxiety or depression through the truth.  The way to be set free through truth is to fully accept and believe that the truth is the truth.  Our knowledge of, and then agreement with the truth sets us free.   Our souls must agree with God’s truth.  God has given you all peace in Christ Jesus, so the truth is you have peace in Jesus regardless of how you feel, and eventually, or as soon as you agree with that, your reality will match His truth.

I know how the anxiety mind works.  When the mind starts racing in fear, it looks for a crutch.  It starts searching for some quote or thought that will calm it.  When we feel that we cannot think of an adequate thing to calm it, we panic and have an anxiety panic attack.  Let your crutch be truth.  

Since truth sets us free we should never fear it.  Some fear truth because truth can bring a person into an unfamiliar arena.  For example, when I talked with Jehovah’s Witnesses in the past and showed them the truth of their error, they stopped talking to me for fear of where that truth might lead them.  Truth exposes lies and falsehood.  Truth might reveal that what you thought was true is not true.  Truth might reveal that what your mother and father told you was true is not true.  Truth might reveal that you were wrong your entire life.  Truth in love is always good.  We must never fear where it might take us even if it is into unfamiliar territory.  Do not fear or reject truth even if it is correcting or rebuking us.  Truth is on our side.  It leads us into what is right and best.  It sets us free when we accept it unconditionally with open arms.  

Truth is allowed to hurt, but not tear down.  The bible says speak truth in love.  So don't go out telling people they are having a bad hair day.  It may be true, but don't tear people down with it.  When love is connected to truth then it is good even if it hurts the listener because it is designed to build up and not tear down.  And, be willing to embrace truth in love even when it hurts.  Proverbs 27:5-6 read, "Better is open rebuke than hidden love." And, "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses."  Truth sets you free even if it hurts coming from a friend.  

As you all know from reading about me, my panic attacks resulted in an awkward walk.  If I hear a comment about my awkward walk it would often significantly increase my anxiety and incapacitate me for weeks.  Therefore I feared hearing such comments, and of course, that itself gave me panic attacks because the best way of avoiding the comments is to achieve a graceful walk each time, which my mind wouldn’t let me perform because of the fear that filled it.  I am here to tell you do not fear a comment or reaction about your anxiety being revealed to others because others are actually accurately commenting on what they see your flesh is doing.  It is the flesh that is wrong, not them.  Remember, there is nothing to fear with truth even when the truth is a comment about what the flesh is doing wrong.  Truth is never to be feared because no matter what form it comes, Jesus said that truth sets us free.  Even truth that critiques us should not be feared.  Understand that the flesh is what needs the truth and agree with it.  With anxiety, the flesh is wrong.  Let God be true and every flesh a liar.  The flesh’s tendency is wrong because it is not operating in the truth that Jesus gave it His peace that He left us with—that is, true peace.  Whether someone sees your panic attack and critiques or not is irrelevant.  You are to focus on truth and not on their comments (which might even be true) or the lies of the flesh.  Keep your eyes on Jesus.  He is the Truth.

Last edited by Statesman63 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://christian-anxiety.forums-free.info
pietertje

PostSubject: Re: Truth   Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 am

What a wonderful and useful explanation
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Truth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1